Steps in the Authority process
This section covers the steps you need to take to go through the employment dispute process at the Employment Relations Authority.
The main steps in bringing a problem to the Employment Relations Authority are:
- Lodging an application
- Getting the issues straight
- The investigation meeting
- Deliberation and determination
How long it takes
It can take a few weeks or a few months for an application to be processed, heard, and determined by a member. The length of the process will depend on things such as urgency of the application, whether parties have tried to resolve their problem at mediation, the availability of parties, representatives and the complexity of the case.
Further detailed information about the Authority process can be obtained by consulting the Authority's Practice Notes:
- Practice Note for 2016 - Steps to be taken in proceedings [PDF, 57KB]
- Practice Note for 2016 - Costs in the Employment Relations Authority [PDF, 30KB]
- Practice Note for 2016 - Conduct of Representatives in the Employment Relations Authority [PDF, 19KB]
You may also wish to read the following papers: