What the Employment Relations Authority Does

Employment relationship problems are not just confined to the problems an employee may have with an employer, like unjustified dismissal or unpaid wages. They can also involve problems that an employer may have with an employee such as failure to meet the terms of an employment agreement.

There are steps that need to be taken before you can bring a case to the Employment Relations Authority.

First, the employer and employee should try to resolve the problem together. The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) provides information on employment matters and can clarify your employment rights and obligations.

If that fails, you should try mediation. This is where a mediator, who is neutral, sits down with the parties and tries to help them resolve the issue. MBIE has a free mediation service.

New regulations amend the rules for lodging applications and provide forms about 'triangular employment' grievance applications [PDF, 710KB]

To get information on employment matters or access mediation, visit the Employment New Zealand website or call 0800 20 90 20.


Determinations made by the Authority are public documents and are available on the Employment NZ law database - or you can phone the Ministry on 0800 20 90 20 during normal business hours to request a copy.