Complaints about Authority Members must be made in writing to:

The Chief of the Employment Relations Authority
PO Box 2458
Wellington 6140


The complaint must include the name of the Member concerned and details of the complaint.

Please note that the Member will be provided with a copy of your complaint.

The Chief of the Authority will determine if the complaint is related to a determination issued and where appropriate, advise the complainant of their rights to challenge a determination in the Employment Court or request a rehearing in the Authority.

In all other cases, the Chief of the Authority may gather preliminary information from the Member concerned. If it is determined that no further action is required, the Chief of the Authority will advise the person making the complaint.

If the Chief of the Authority determines the complaint has substance, the following responses may be considered and the complainant notified:

  • Noting the complaint has merit and notifying the member

  • Apologising to the complainant

  • Providing counselling, training or other assistance to the member

  • Refer the matter to the Minister for Workplace Relations and Safety.